end of week, when is it too hard?

Dieses Thema im Forum "Questions about Freeletics" wurde erstellt von dietervrn, 3. Februar 2015.

1. dietervrn

dietervrn Frischling

Hi,

I'm a happy free athlete and in my 3rd week now. I'm enjoying the program and although I sometimes get out of breath I always push on to complete the workout.

I'm not really overweight (1m73, 74kg) but I'm not really in shape either (proved by the coach).

Now comes 2xARES. I had to do pullups. I could do about 2 of them and even then it was hard to get my chin up to the bar. For the rest, when I tried to I just hung there and didn't move. So I switched to the easier version which is kind of jumping right before the pullup. I struggled for the rest of the workout and tried to use my arms as much as I could simulating pullups (although my legs were helping).

I know this will improve and I know everyone struggles at first, however:

My question is this:

if the end of the week comes, what do I tell my coach? Do I say "hard but ok" or "too hard"?

I'm afraid that when I pick "hard but ok" the coach will take a step up and I won't be able to catch up and I will keep having to make shortcuts in exercises like pushups and pullups.

On the other hand APHRODITE went well the other day so I don't want those exercises to become "easier".

Any thoughts?

2. Ricardo

Ricardo Hades

Hi,

Good question.

I just finished my 2nd week yesterday. I have scheduled 2x Ares for this new week, but I thought it was because I told the coach I can do pullups by unlocking the pullup advanced skill! Did you unlocked it?

I don't have an answer for your question, I am a beginner as well. But if it was too hard, maybe the best thing is telling the coach it was. Otherwise you could be forcing yourself more than you should and risk an injury.

Even though it is not a freeletics workout, a good substitute if pullups are too hard are australian pullups. Before starting the freeletics coach even jumping pullups were too much for me...

Ricardo

3. dietervrn

dietervrn Frischling

Hi,

Yes I unlocked the pullup, because I could do at least one (as described as a requirement for these advanced exercises).

The Australian pullup is kind of what I did during ARES. Either with this primitive version of the pullup, I'm feeling the back/bottom of my shoulders a lot today, it's hard to lift my arms above my head. Based on what I feel it's soreness and not an injury, so I guess I'll be ok.

Good luck with 2xARES!

4. Ricardo

Ricardo Hades

If you are sore it means the muscles got their workout hehe. I am glad you are not injured. I injured myself once and I wouldn't recommend it!

I am not an expert, but in my opinion and from personal experience I think that Aus. pullups/chinups are better than jumping pullups/chinups for the absolute beginner or if one is not strong enough in the upper part of the body. But you would need additional equipment like a lower bar or some stool to rest your feet while doing the exercise.

Let's see how it goes with the 2x Ares this week. So far, these two first weeks have been very good!

Ricardo

5. Ricardo

Ricardo Hades

A question for those with more time and experience.

When you tell the coach the last week was 'too easy' does it raises the difficulty too much? I keep telling the coach it was 'hard, but ok,' which is true, but I feel I am just outside of my comfort zone with the workouts. They are hard, I can finish them all. I can do them with star if I take my time.

Thanks,
    Ricardo

6. Tyr

Tyr Hera

3 weeks in freeletics is not long. Take it easy and too easy it becomes when the week workouts don't feel like a challenge anymore to you. Obviously 2*Ares is a challenge for you. Too easy never happened to me -also because the coach increases slowly the intensity - but actually the other way around. I used two times the "too hard" option 1) when my body started to hurt (not sore muscles, but pain in e.g. shoulders) from the sheer mass of repetitions I had to do for 2 weeks in a row and I recognized that I had to slow down 2) if ~all my workouts for two week in a row took more than ~45min to complete, because thats not HIIT anymore.

7. Ricardo

Ricardo Hades

Thanks Tyr,

Of course, 2X Ares was a challenge! But the only time I've felt sore muscles was the day after Venus. Because of the pushups.

You made me remember something. I can't find it right now, but I remember a graph somewhere in the Freeletics site that shows that there is an adaptive period in which the intensity grows until reaching a 'performance' level. And if I remember correctly, from there there are peaks of intensity in the workouts.

I suppose I am being a bit impatient. I just finished my fourth week yesterday.

Thanks again Tyr,
    Ricardo

8. Ricardo

Ricardo Hades

Tyr,

You were right. I am glad I never selected the 'too easy' option at the end of the week. Next week I have Hell Days, and they will be quite a challenge. I am sure is going to be tough.

Ricardo

9. NicStef143

NicStef143 Hades

Hi!
    If you're not sure whether the WOs are "too easy" why not do some extra WOs or try additional strength versions? You could also try to improve some of the trainings and I guess that after some time you'll either feel VERY happy that you haven't clicked "too easy" :D or you are absolutely sure that you can do more than what the coach has told you...
    Whenever I feel that I've still got some power left in me (which only rarely happens, actually...) I do some extra running or try to work on my pullups or try "exotic" WOs which I then hope I'll never ever get (pistols and stuff like that).

10. Ricardo

Ricardo Hades

Hi Nicole! Thanks!

As Tyr mentioned above, the coach by itself has been slowly increasing the difficulty as the weeks go. Like you, I was also thinking about doing some extra running on the side.

This is my 7th week and I have 3 Hell Days, including standard Artemis and 2x Poseidon! Those are going to be first timers for me...so I am happy I didn't press the 'too easy' option :) I can only imagine how it would be if I had pressed it!

Ricardo

Diese Seite empfehlen